Sunday, August 1, 2010

Week in London

I'm baaaack! Sorry it took so long, but the internet went down on Wednesday and they were unable to get it back on...Wish you were here, Michael! I had the best time chatting and seeing the sights of London with my friend, Carolyn. I was sad to see her go on Thursday morning, but she had taught me a lot about the city. I struck out on my own and actually took the Tube (underground railway) by myself. I wanted to go to The Hard Rock Cafe for Caley's t-shirt and it was on the southwestern sector. I got a tube map and took of. When I came out of the underground, I went through the park and ended up at Buckingham Palace AGAIN! The changing of the Guard was going on so I got to see it! After that, I went back across the street to The Hard Rock. I decided to walk back and by following the map, I made it back to the hotel just fine. Now I was really feeling brave and decided to go to the British Museum AGAIN!! With two new blisters on my feet, I limped in and spent 6 hours in an attempt to see all of it!No way it can be done! I saw the rosetta stone, lots of mummies, Assyrian things from 3-4,000 yrs old, Grecian art, Gladiator "stuff"....weapons of every kind since the beginning of time! I was exhausted when I left! On Saturday my tour group went back to Buckingham Palace....by this time, I'm feeling like a pro! Ha!Saw the changing of the guards AGAIN, but also saws and heard a lot of other things. I saw Abbey Road, Beatles Fans, Carnaby Street, and went to the London Tower to see the royal crown jewels and where poor Anne Bolelyn, and Catherine were beheaded, becasue Henry the 8th was a jerk! The cruise on the River Thames took us by Shakespeare's Globe Theater, The London Eye, Big Ben and Parliament. Thern, 3 of us went to a pub for dinner. Believe it or not, it was not I who was begging for a taxi at the end of the day! Another lady hailed a taxi and we finally arrived back at the hotel, 13 hrs. after our tour had begun. Today we left London on our tour bus and took the ferry across the channel from the Cliffs of Dover to Calais France. We arrived in Amsterdam, took a tour of the canals by boat, then had dinner at a restaurant which was built in 1509. Afterwards we walked to the bus through a cloud of marijuana smoke and quite a few "places of ill repute" all of which are legal here. I'm looking forward to leaving for GErmany tomorrow! This is not one of my favorite places. I hope to be able to blog again tomorrow...we'll see ifmy next hotel has the internet!...you never know! Love to you all, Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment